I am a pretty laid back person, but one thing that absolutely get to my nerve is spam. I have actually un-friended people for sending me invitations to play candy crush or the whole farm paraphernalia. When it comes to Facebook, I think is OK (up to a certain point), but lately it’s been getting out of hands. Examples like: “10 things that emotionally stable people do” (which BTW the first one should be “They don’t share crap”) or “Solve If you are a genius” which some how made it to LinkedIn, are filling up our news-feeds! LinkedIn is an amazing platform for businesses to scout talent and for professionals to showcase their value. On LinkedIn, doesn’t matter if we are a biz or a person, we have to act like professionals. Things that we should DO are:
- Include a professional picture: Try to keep it related to your field. Yeah, that picture with your puppy is probably adorable, but wouldn’t look great for the finance world. Right?
- Beef up your profile: LinkedIn is a place where your relevant experience lives. Remember, the profile is public! Make sure the info you are posting, is what you want the other person to know about you.
- Populate your LinkedIn with keywords: Google use to provide them for free to improve your SEO, but now they sell them at Adwords, the closest you can get is Google Correlate, which will show you correlated words by Google search, worth to take a look. Worst case scenario, just open a job that you like and use their keywords, done.
Things that we DON’T want to do are:
- Spam: Do not add pictures and ask for answers, and obviously do not answer stupid questions.
- Use a silly picture: Imagine the picture you are using like a picture in your resume. (Legal in other countries)
- And the most important, DO NOT Treat Linkedin like it was Faceboook.
Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment